I confess: Red Beans and Rice is NOT what I planned on making for dinner last night. My goal was to write about my best and favorite recipes, not my old standbys that I make when I have nothing else in the fridge.
BUT, the day got away from me and I never made it to the grocery store… so, I made Red Beans and Rice. And you know what, it was delicious.
Here’s my recipe:
2 cups water
1 cup write or brown rice (uncooked)
1 onion, chopped
1 package light turkey sausage, chopped
1 green or red pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 whole tomatoes, chopped
1 stalk fresh oregano, chopped.
2 cans small red beans
1. Bring water to a boil. Add rice and simmer on low for 20 minutes until rice is tender.
2. While rice is cooking, add onion, sausage, pepper, garlic and tomatoes to a large skillet. Saute until tender.
3. Sprinkle with fresh oregano.
4. Add beans and sausage mixture to rice. Cook 2 minutes more. Salt and pepper to taste.
5. Serve with warm tortillas, shredded cheddar cheese and pico de gallo.