Here’s an easy recipe where you cook and chop ONE night and get TWO dinners out of it. Kathi Lipp calls these LOOP meals (for Leftover on Purpose)– and I confess, I get giddy when I make them because it makes things so easy on me.
1 tbsp olive oil
1.5 lbs. chicken (breast or thigh, boneless, skinless)
4 large carrots or 1 bag baby carrots
1 bunch celery
1 red pepper
1 bunch broccoli
2 tsp. yellow curry powder
1 tsp. tumeric
2-3 tbsp soy sauce (to taste)
1/2 cup cashews
1 bunch green onions
2 cups cooked brown rice
2 cans (or 1 box) chicken broth
1 cup Bisquick biscuit mix
1/2 cup buttermilk
Night 1: Chicken Fried Brown Rice
1. Pour olive oil into a wok or large skillet. Add chicken and cook until done. Remove from skillet and set on a cutting board to cool for 10 mins.
2. Coarsely chop chicken. Return half to wok and put the other half into a ziplock bag for tomorrow night.
3. Coarsely chop carrots, celery, onions and green onions. Add half to wok and half to ziplock with chicken. Put ziplock with chicken, carrots, celery, onions and green onions in fridge until tomorrow.
4. Coarsely chop broccoli and red pepper. Add to wok.
5. Heat veggies and chicken until tender-crisp. Add curry powder, tumeric, soy sauce and rice. Stir until incorporated. Cook 5-10 mins more until warm.
6. Make hole in center. Pour beaten eggs into hold. Let eggs cook until almost done (it’ll look like scrambled eggs in the center). Stir to incorporate. Serve warm.
Night 2: Chicken ‘N’ Dumplings, leftover style
1. Put chicken/veggie mix from night before into a large soup pot. Cook 5-10 minutes until tender crisp.
2. Cover with chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Mix biscuick and buttermilk until gooey. Drop by spoonfuls into boiling broth mixture.
4. Cook for 20 minutes until dumplings and cooked.