I spoke at a MOPS group the other day about genuine friendship and part of our discussion was about taking initiative to take the first step and reach out to friends. One way to do that? Bring them food! I make it a point to sign up for as many of my friend’s Care Calendar’s as possible… even if it means picking up Papa Murphy’s and taking it to their house.
BUT, today, I found this cool slideshow on Yahoo Shine about the best meals for new parents… and it made me so excited! A whole bunch of new ideas… so I don’t end up bringing the same old, same old to my friends. Of course, I’m sure y’all have a lot to add. One of these days, I’m going to compile all of these recipes into a fun doc of my own.
In the meantime, my personal favorite go-to Care Calendar recipe:
Eggplant, Polenta and Spinach Bake
(*note: I know this sounds too healthy but I swear it’s delish… even my hubby who HATES veggies downs this stuff…)
1 lb. ground turkey or chicken sausage
1 large eggplant
1 large zucchini
1 bag pre-washed spinach
1 cup fresh spinach
1 jar spaghetti sauce
2 cups cornmeal or polenta
1/2 cup Parmesan
2 cups low-fat mozzerella
1. Brown sausage. Cube eggplant and zucchini and add to pan with sausage. Cook 10 mins until tender. Wilt in spinach and basil. Add Spaghetti sauce. Stir well and set aside.
2. In large saucepan, heat 4 cups of water to a boil. SLOWLY add cornmeal, whisking frequently. Bring back to a boil. Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan.
3. Carefully spread cornmeal mixture onto the bottom of a 9X13 pan.
4. Cover polenta with sausage mixture.
5. Cover with mozzerella
6. Have your friend bake for 45 mins at 350.
Question for you: What’s your go-to meal for new parents?