Seeing as how I’m 9 months pregnant and it’s already a billion degrees in Texas, I’ve been doing my best to find yummy, healthy dinner recipes that don’t require me a) to work or b) to cook. I found one. PLUS, my whole family– even my superpicky 5-year-old– LOVED these.
Shrimp Salad Tacos
1 lb cooked, deveined salad shrimp
1 avocado, chopped
1 carton grape tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
1 cup frozen corn, defrosted
salt and pepper
shredded Monterrey Jack cheese (or Pepper Jack if you like it spicy)
1. Zest limes into a large bowl, then juice them.
2. Add shrimp, avocado, tomatoes, cilantro and corn
3. Add salt and pepper to taste
4. Let sit in fridge for 5-30 minutes.
5. Scoop onto warm corn tortillas and top with cheese
Want to make it preschooler-friendly?
Here’s what I did last night:
1. I gave each of my kids a small bowl at the counter as I mixed the shrimp salad.
2. As I added each ingredient, I asked them if they’d like it. Both of my kids wanted lime, shrimp and cilantro. My daughter also wanted tomatoes and avocado. My son also wanted corn. Neither wanted pepper. I allowed them to add as much of each ingredient as they wanted and to stir their own.
3. My kids both ate their entire bowl because they “made” it.