You’d think that being a mom would be a lot like riding a bike: Once you learn how to do it, you just know what to do. But it’s not. Because I feel like a complete newbie. I’ve completely forgotten how to be a mama to a newborn.
Okay, so I haven’t completely forgotten, but I definitely need a refresher course. Here are a few of the things I’ve learned in the last week:
1. Always (ALWAYS) push the baby’s penis towards the baby’s legs before closing the diaper. It seems like I forgot about this little tidbit and in the process of re-learning it, I’ve been peed on at least fifteen times. You’d think once or twice would be enough incentive to remember, but no.
2. Always (ALWAYS) have a washcloth or burp cloth handy when you take off a diaper or you’ll get squired. Again, you’d think one or two “accidents” would be enough incentive to remember but no. My washer has been running non-stop since Will came home.
3. There’s no such thing as “quickly nursing the baby before we go”. Instead, newborns seem to think that any and every opportunity to eat should consist of a 2-hour marathon session.
4. Those marathon nursing sessions are some of the sweetest moments between mama and baby. Yesterday, I just sat there holding him and looking at his sweet little nose and eyes and well, it makes me teary how yummy he is. It also makes me teary to think how quickly he’ll grow and change. As a third-time mama, I know this sweet newborn phase won’t last.
5. Even veteran breastfeeders get sore at first. For some reason, I thought I’d be immune to this, but no. But, thanks to some Lanolin and some Soothies, I’m on the mend.
6. An 84-pack of diapers will not tide you over until your next trip to Target. There have been moments when my little guy has gone through 4 or 5 diapers in an hour. (See #1)
7. My extensive collection of baby boy shoes leftover (still unworn) from Joey’s newborn days will once again go unworn. What baby wears shoes?!
*I’ve missed y’all over the last few weeks… I plan on going to visit each of your blogs in the next few days so I hope to catch up on your lives and what’s going on!! XOXO*
Also, check out the GORGEOUS pics that my friend Sarah took of us yesterday! I love ’em!