Joey and Kate literally thought I had lost it when I presented them with “cake” for dinner tonight…
3 cups flour
2 TBSP baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 lb. turkey Italian sausage
1 14 oz. jar pizza sauce
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
fresh mozzarella cheese
2. Brown sausage over medium heat until cooked through. Add mushrooms and cook for an additional 4-5 minutes. Stir in pizza sauce.
3. Spray a bundt cake pan with cooking spray, then put half of the biscuit dough in the bottom of the pan. Use your fingers (spritz them with cooking spray if the dough is too sticky) to push the dough up the sides of the pan to make a small trough.
4. Fill the trough with the sausage mixture, then cover with the remaining biscuit dough.
5. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes until top looks golden brown. Take out of the oven and use a knife to carefully cut the “cake” from the sides of the pan. Flip out onto a cooking sheet.
6. Cover the cake with fresh mozzarella slices and then put it under the broiler until the “frosting” looks drippy.