When God Says Wait

We used to tease my sister Alisa and her husband Peter that they were going to end up like the Duggers.  They wanted lots of kids.  And when they got pregnant and had their daughter Haddie in 2008, we had no doubt that their house would soon be bursting with babies.

But it didn’t happen.  God said wait.

Months and months passed, months of raised hopes followed by negative pregnancy tests, tears and failed expectations.  Alisa grew numb.  She tried to ignore her cycles, pretend that it wasn’t time to take another test, pretend that her hopes hadn’t been crushed again.

But God said wait.

Peter and Alisa decided to adopt.  They busied themselves in a flurry of paperwork, taking classes, attending trainings, dreaming of a baby before Christmas.

But God said wait.

My sister-in-law got pregnant, Alisa’s best friend got pregnant, I got pregnant, Alisa’s dear friend adopted a son, I got pregnant again, my sister-in-law got pregnant again, Alisa’s best friend got pregnant again.

But God said wait.

So Alisa put on a happy face, smiling through her tears as she attended baby showers, sip-and-sees, hospital visits and MOPS meetings.  She cradled her new nieces and nephews, brought meals to her friends when they had babies, babysat as other moms went to prenatal appointments.

And God still said wait.

Then the news came:  Peter and Alisa had been chosen to adopt a baby girl.  They prepped their nursery, filling it with ribbons and bows and tiny pink socks.  They visited the birth mom.  They raised money for the adoption expenses and anxiously waited for their new baby girl to arrive.  Sweet little Abby was born on July 7th, 2011.  As they raced up to the hospital, anxious to hold their new baby girl for the first time, they prayed jubilantly that their wait was finally over, that they finally had a baby to fill their empty arms.

But, God once again said wait.

Less than two days after Abby was born, her birth mom changed her mind.  She decided to parent Abby.  And Alisa and Peter left the hospital with bags full of brand-new baby clothes that would never be worn, with hearts heavy and hope lost.

And still, God said wait.

They went home, they shut the door to their nursery and tried to move on.  They continued to pursue adoption, but also decided to pursue pregnancy once again.  There were tests and needles and exorbitant hospital bills.  There was a shocking infertility diagnoses that meant their first daughter was a miracle.  There was a painful surgery and weeks of waiting as hopes rose, only to be dashed again.

Because God still told them to wait.

And then, just when all hope seemed lost.  Just when we were starting to question whether God really had a plan for more children for them, whether he had been there speaking to them all along, God spoke through a whisper.

Now.  Now is the moment that you have been waiting for.

The phone call came at 9 am on a Monday morning.  A tiny baby boy needed a family, a home. A tiny soul who in just a few short hours of life had known pain, loneliness and fear, having been born with his intestines outside of his body.  A child of God who was lying in the NICU by himself with a sign on his crib that said “Baby Boy”. No name.  No family.  No one.

But God had chosen this moment to show the depth of his love.  Because while Peter and Alisa had waited and waited for a baby, God had been waiting for this baby.  This child.  This wonderful blessing.  This moment.  And he is worth the wait—exactly the child that they had longed for all those years.  Peter and Alisa have a son—and Asa has been chosen—because God said wait.

Get updates on Baby Asa on his Caringbridge Website here.

1. Bawling my eyeballs out over here!

2. Crying here in Texas! What an amazing story and you wrote it just as amazing! So happy for them!

3. How beautifully you have captured their journey, and probably many others like them as well. Your soft heart is a gift, as is the way you put words to what it feels. Thank you for coupling your heart and words to be such a blessing others. God bless the broken road to Asa. What a sweet, adorable baby!

4. Pretty great post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wished to mention that I have really loved browsing your blog posts. After all I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I hope you write once more very soon!

5. Thank you for this, although I can hardly see my tears I am typing this in joy for Alisa, Pete and Asa. God bless you all!

6. Wow! Erin that was beautifully written. I could feel your heart! I got goosebumps and tears going on over here! We too know the pain that Peter and Alisa have gone through. I love those 2 so much and feel so blessed that adoption brought us together. I am so thrilled for them and their son Asa. He is absolutely beautiful and just perfect.
    Gerald and I so get the “God said wait.” We had 5 failed adoptions before we adopted our first baby 2 months ago. A precious son. I have no doubt that Zaden and Asa will be friends! I am SO excited that Peter and Alisa started the adoption process at the same time we did and we adopted with in 6 weeks of each other after we all went through heartbreak after heartbreak. God is SO good and knew EXACTLY what He was doing. I love Him so!
    Erin, thank you for writing such a beautiful blog. You are an amazing sister to Alisa. I just feel the love.
    Tabby :)

7. This is SO awesome. This fills my heart with hope, since I am also in a (never-ending) season of waiting on a baby myself. Thanks so much for sharing this.

• Me too. It’s really a painful journey (watching my friends having babies without ANY efforts) but I am in the process of learning to TRUST HIM WITH ALL OF MY HEART.

My motto is:
      “When once more there’s ONE stripe on the test, STILL He is doing the BEST”

Thanks for sharing the story, Erin

8. God always always always knows best and is always testing all of us…..definitely testing us daily. Two things come to mind……

Isaiah 65:24
    and it shall come to pass that before they call,I will
    answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear.

and

When we are going through difficulty & wonder where GOD is…….remember the teacher is always quiet during the test.

Amen and thank you Jesus and Mary…..all glory and honor are your’s now and forever Amen.

9. Can’t even see through the tears! His wisdom is all-knowing and infinite. Even while He knows the outcome He is WITH US through the pain and tears and waiting. Congratulations to your family and to little Asa!

10. What a beautiful story! Crying and I’m not a cryer! Many prayers for this family and God’s perfect timing from here on out.

11. This is so beautifully written, I had to read it twice!

12. It’s so comforting to know that God knew this sweet baby was coming and was saving your sister and your family for him. He’s perfect and so lucky to have you all to love him.

13. Thank you for every other great post. The place else could anyone get that kind of information in such an ideal approach of writing? I’ve a presentation subsequent week, and I’m on the search for such info.

14. You write so well Erin. Baby Asa is also their miracle baby. We love y’all.

Love,

Anne, Jacob and Dallas

15. Im having a tiny problem. I cant get my reader to pick-up your feed, Im using google reader by the way.