Summer is (finally) here. And I am so, so (did I mention SO) excited to not be driving back and forth between every corner of Austin with the baby in the carseat. We can finally stay home. Of course, that leaves the question: What do we DO at home? Here are 15 easy kid-friendly and mom-friendly activities that you can do…with things you have on hand at home today.
2. Make homemade lemonade. Experiment and create new flavors: Strawberry lemonade, nectarine lemonade, basil lemonade.
3. See how quickly your kids can get completely soaked by standing in the sprinkler. Time them.
4. Make cloud dough– Mix 1 cup flour with a few tablespoons of baby oil until it’s soft in texture. Give them measuring spoons and cups to play with it.
6. Go online and plan your dream vacations. (So what if it costs $10,000 a night to stay at the Princess resort your daughter wants to visit…she can dream, right?)
7. Bake cookies.
8. Look through cookbooks and plan your next feast.
9. Make Letter Pictures. Draw your kid’s names in bubble letters and have them draw pictures of things that start with those letters. So, if your kid’s name starts with a J, he can draw jelly beans, a jar or a jump rope.
10. Build a playdough cafe.
11. Have a picnic. And yes, PB & J on the back patio totally counts as a picnic.
12. Send your kids on a rainbow scavenger hunt to see if they can find one thing in every color of the rainbow. Then up the ante and see if they can find turquoise, magenta and chartruse.
13. Or have a letter scavenger hunt and see if your kids can find one thing for every letter of the alphabet. Bonus points for X, Y and Z.
15. Have a pajama party read-in and snuggle on the couch while you read every book on your bookshelf.