3/4 lb raw shrimp, peeled, deveined and coarsely chopped
4 ears of corn, cut off the cob
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup buttermilk
1 tsp tabasco (optional)
1 cup cherry tomatoes–preferably varying colors
2 tbsp chopped herbs (I used basil, parsley and chives)
1 avocado, chopped
squeeze of lime
salt and pepper.
1. Mix shrimp, 2 cups corn, red pepper, flour, corn meal, baking powder, salt and pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
2. Put remaining corn, buttermilk, egg and hot sauce in the blender. Blend until smooth.
3. Add buttermilk mixture to shrimp mixture.
4. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a large non-stick pan. Add a large spoonful of shrimp mixture to the pan and smoosh down with a wooden spoon. Cook until golden brown, flip and cook until finished, about 10 minutes.
5. Mix all ingredients in tomato salad until blended. Top shrimp cakes with tomato salad.
How your kids can help
* shuck the corn
* add flour, corn meal, baking powder, salt and pepper to shrimp mixture.
* stir shrimp mixture
* add milk and hot sauce to blender
* turn on blender
* combine puree with shrimp mixture
* chopping tomatoes (use a plastic cake knife)
* chopping herbs (use herb scissors or just tear them)
* squeezing lime
* scooping avocado
* mixing salad
* putting scoops of salad on shrimp cakes