Welcome to The Christian Mama’s Guide Pin-Tastic Summer! If you’re just joining us, click over to our intro post to find out what we’re doing and to see what other crafts, activities and projects we’ve done.
This week, we’re having Rainbow Week. Scroll down to learn how to make rainbow rice and then click here to find out what other awesome rainbow activities we’ve done this week.
My adorable nephew Jude and niece Greta helped me with this project. Aren’t they cute?
What you need:
- 1 plastic bin
- 1 large bag white rice
- 5 tbsp rubbing alcohol
- food coloring
- quart-sized ziplock bags
- materials for playing in the rice– measuring spoons, cups, etc.
What to do:
- Put 1 1/2 cups of rice into 4-5 Ziplock bags (depending on how many colors you want)
- Add 1 tbsp rubbing alcohol to each bag
- Add 8-10 drops of food coloring to each bag (mix red and yellow to make orange or red and blue to make purple)
- Seal each bag tightly and have your kids shake until the rice is well colored.
- Let bags sit open in the sun for 1-2 hours so the alcohol dries.
- Pour in rows into the bin.
- Let your kids dive in and mix up the rice using spoons, cups and their hands.
One of my favorite kid activities: Rainbow rice! Colored rice meets cooking utensils meets hours of fun. http://wp.me/p33YCp-po Click to Tweet