Welcome to The Christian Mama’s Guide Pin-Tastic Summer! If you’re just joining us, click over to our intro post to find out what we’re doing and to see what other crafts, activities and projects we’ve done.
This week, we’re having Alphabet Week. Scroll down to learn how to make soft pretzel letters and then click here to find out what other awesome letter-loving activities we’ve done this week.
First of all, I have to apologize a little. I’ve tried really hard to keep all of the Pin-Tastic Summer snacks at least somewhat healthy. But today, we’re making soft pretzels and no, they aren’t healthy. But they are yummy. So consider it a fun treat for your kids… food you can write with. What’s not to love?
What you need:
- 2 pkg. active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/4 cup something sweet (I use honey, but you can use sugar, brown sugar, maple syrup, agave, whatever)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 5 cups flour (I use half white, half wheat but you can use whatever combination you like best)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups cold water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
What to do:
- Dissolve yeast and 1 tsp. sugar in warm water. Let sit for ten minutes.
- Using a stand mixer if you have one (or a spoon if not), slowly add sweetener, salt, oil and flour. Mix until blended. Knead 7-8 minutes by hand or using the dough hook on your stand mixer.
- Roll dough into long snakes. (Your kids can help.) Turn the snakes into the letters in your kid’s names or any other words you want to spell.
- Mix water and baking soda. Dip finished pretzels into soda and water and then sprinkle liberally with salt.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake at 450 degrees for 7 minutes.
Spell your kid’s names with pretzels and enjoy a fun letter-loving snack. http://wp.me/p33YCp-rJ